Thursday, October 14, 2010

Jadeah


Here is Jadeah, Female Half Orc from the Dark Heaven Legends series of Reaper Miniatures. The way I went about painting her was a little different than usual. After priming I added a couple entire base coats of dark green. I then started blending the highlights and lowlights into the musculature of her body. This was a very fun mini to paint because I love shading and highlighting and it really made the muscles pop. Then, when I was done with that, I started adding the color to the armor and weapons. Since there was so much blending to be done for the muscles, I thought this was the easier way to go without having to worry about getting any green on the clothing and such because I would just be painting over all the mistakes.

As you can see I chose red for my primary color to incorporate into the clothing and accessories. Red is a complimentary color to green so I though it would look awesome. It also kind of reminds me of the colors of the Horde in World of Warcraft, therefore suiting an orc nicely.

On the back of the shield I added some nice realistic highlights to the huge red ruby gem. When light enters a semi-clear gem, the side the light enters has a very bright, concentrated area of light (the top right in this case). The light exits through the opposite side, but in a more diffused pattern, so the light is spread out and less bright (the bottom left).




For the leather armor I originally painted it a tan-brown color, but that blended in too well with the brass armor and looked awful. I eventually decided on a cool grey and matched the boots to simulate grey wolf fur.

No comments:

Post a Comment